Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Random Thoughts: Taking a Deep Breath

The other day, I was listening to a report about a study of infants breathing and the connection to their ability to cope with different situations later in life.  Right when I turned on the report, I heard someone say that the researchers had found that babies heart rate slows when the baby took in a deep breath and quickens when babies breath out.

As I was listening to the explanation, I envisioned someone hyperventilating...  The image flashed across my eyes and I thought no wonder some might faint or have a panic attack.

I was envisioning myself.

I took a deep breath.  My body calmed from my deep breaths.  Amazing that something so basic can have such a big effect.

Today and everyday has been stressful.  There are changes at work.  And a lot of the "What Ifs" are being played out by everyone...

I have learned with my recovery that a much better approach is to breath deep and remember that the moment is the moment, like the concept of One Day at a Time.  

My employee stressed two times today, which is not like her.  She stopped breathing for moments when she got to her peak and I look straight at her and told her, breath.  I reminded her it was fixable.  That we have safeguards for this specific reason.  She took a deep breath and her color came back.   And she realized that it would work out just fine.

When I need to remind myself to breath, I remember the moment in the movie, "Ever After" when Drew Barrymore's character states, "Just Breath."  As she is walking into the ball.


A simple reminder for a simple thing to help one calm from a moment of stress: "Just Breath."



No comments:

Post a Comment