Friday, January 18, 2013

A Hobby

Very early on, in my path of recovering from the events from this last year, it was suggested to keep busy or find a hobby.  I thought about this one for a few months. I knew I didn't want to be gone a lot, since our weeks were planned to a tee.  So I asked the question  what can I do inside?

One night I dreamt of being at a craft show, the building was like the inside of the castle of Harry Potter - lots of stairs and landings, which moved.  Every landing had a vendor of different crafts.  When I got to the top I came across a lonely ol' sewing machine.  It was mental and very simple.  I woke from the dream with a very clear answer.  

I was going to learn to sew!

I signed up for a sewing class in a town close to us and re-planned our Thursdays.

There were four classes.  First class - I made a bag!  The other ladies laughed so hard when I completed it, since I was jumping around like a little kid and smiling so proudly!  

I realized at that moment that I hadn't been proud of myself in a very long time.  The last time I was proud of myself was when I gave birth to my little baby, after many hours of back labor and completely natural.  Before the birth, I don't remember the last time I was proud of myself.... It was an amazing feeling!  

After making the bag, I taught myself how to read and use patterns for clothes.  I made pj pants for me and my family for Christmas. I made a flowy cardigan with fabric I bought for $10! And it was stripes!

I found my hobby to keep me busy.  Something I love to do.  I have pride in my work.  Plus the action of sewing helps me to stop think about everything else.

And gives me a break to allow my mind to heal.





No comments:

Post a Comment